[DeTomaso] cabin heat-A/C

JJD1010 at aol.com JJD1010 at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 12:26:36 EST 2009

Matt, there are components of both heat and sound that need to be
attenuated. Here is sort of a primer to get you started. There are lots of  products
out there and if you understand the properties you will get what you  need.

Heat
There are 3 types of heat.  1)Conductive Heat flows through a solid object
from hot to cold. These need to  be blocked. 2)Convective Heat is heated
airflow, usually  caused by air leaks into the car. These need to be sealed up.
3)Radiant Heat is the flow of invisible infra-red rays  emitting from the
surface of an object. These need reflective barriers.

_http://www.glacierbay.com/Heatprop.asp_
(http://www.glacierbay.com/Heatprop.asp)   Technical reading about heat.
_http://www.coolcarceramic.com/comparisons.htm_
(http://www.coolcarceramic.com/comparisons.htm)    Blocker and sealer for heat and sound.
I used this in my engine compartment and firewall, passenger  compartment
and roof, front trunk, and under the car. I also  used a reflective barrier
on the engine bay side of the firewall.
    Similar products
         _http://www.industrial-nanotech.com/howitworks.htm_
(http://www.industrial-nanotech.com/howitworks.htm)    good reading
         _http://www.lizardskin.com/_ (http://www.lizardskin.com/)
         _http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynaspray.html_
(http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynaspray.html)
_http://www.koolmat.com/main.htm_ (http://www.koolmat.com/main.htm)
_http://www.jcwhitney.com/Heat_Sound_Insulation?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductNa
me;0;0;0;0;2010475;0;0_
(http://www.jcwhitney.com/Heat_Sound_Insulation?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2010475;0;0)

Sound
There are several types of sound control products. 1)Vibration Dampers  are
used to eliminate or reduce structural resonance and vibration. 2)Sound
Barriers are used to block and reflect high energy airborne sound like exhaust
 and tire noise. 3)Sound Absorbers are primarily used to soak up mid band
and  high frequency airborne sound and reflect thermal energy. 4)Gasketing
Materials  are used to eliminate squeaks, rattles and buzzes and to seal
speakers.

_http://www.quietride.com/auto-acoustics-101.htm_
(http://www.quietride.com/auto-acoustics-101.htm)  Good  reading.
_http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html_ (http://www.b-quiet.com/index.html)
_http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html_ (http://www.b-quiet.com/compare.html)
_http://www.cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/index.htm_
(http://www.cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/index.htm)
Go to product links further down the page to get good description of how
the different kinds of sound control work. I used VB2HD on my doors and
Dynamat  inside the doors.
_http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynaliner.html_
(http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynaliner.html)
_http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_dynamat_xtreme.html_