[DeTomaso] Where is she now?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 14:38:27 EST 2009

May be of limited interest to the majority, but in Spain it can be quite
difficult to modify your car. I sort of thought that Sweden had the same
system?

The first time a model is registered, it must first be "homologated". They
do all kinds of testing like Thomas implied. Basically they make sure that
the car is safe and conforms to all the local traffic laws. I'm told that
this can be a million dollar process.

All subsequent cars are compared to this version that was homologated. If
you want to change something - even something as seemingly innocent as
putting 16" rims on a car that came with 15", you need to at least partially
homologate the car again. If you simply change rims, you will immediately
fail the safety inspection. My old Audi had three tire sizes that had been
approved for that car, and they verify that the tire size matches the
technical sheet.

Tire shops are prohibited by law from installing tires of a lower speed
rating than what was on the car (I, um, have a friend, yeah, a friend who
tried that...). I have friends who have raised 4x4s, and they need to
completely change the suspension for their yearly safety inspections. And
they have picked up a ticket or two for driving on the street with tires and
suspension that don't match the technical sheet.

I was terrified of the smog-meter because my engine isn't at all stock. But
so far the "hey, cool car man!" factor wins over the "why are all the birds
falling out of the sky behind you?" factor.

Anyway, in Spain, and I believe in France, it can be very expensive and very
difficult to modify your car, even for things as simple as changing rim size
or tire width.

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"