[DeTomaso] leak down test and engine removal

Rod Kunishige rkunishige at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 31 20:48:14 EDT 2009

Lead Down Test

I took an old spark plug and broke the white stuff then removed the ground thingy.  Now I had a plug casing that has an access hole through it.  To this I welded (can use JB weld) an air fitting after grinding the threads off.  It is now a means to add air into any Cleveland cylinder.

Select a cylinder to test bringing it to TDC on the compression stroke.  I use a pencil to make sure insure the piston is at the top.  (In the olden days, I used my daughter’s Popsicle stick.)  With both valves completely closed you can screw in the tester.  Fire up the compressor and attach the hose to the fitting.  You’ll be able to hear any air leaks.  If air comes from the valve cover (at the fill plug), then you are likely to need new piston rings.  Go back to the exhaust tips.  If you hear air passing there, then the exhaust valve is suspect.  Noise from the carb signals an intake valve problem.  Think of the joy you’ll have doing this for the other 7 cylinders.

In the end, you’ll have a very good idea of where to look for repairs.  All this is very useful without dismantling the engine.

Rod  Kunishige