[DeTomaso] Cam question

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Fri Aug 28 20:15:40 EDT 2009

Gents and Lady...
I'm ordering my cam and trying to decide on the LSA...108, 110, 112?  Most of the manufacturers
can make a cam with the numbers I want... lift (.570-.590), duration (@.050 of 230-240) total/advertised duration (290).
But the LSA is different. The consensus tells me the smaller the LSA, the lower the
torque will be in the RPM's.  My goal is to get a more drivable mix and not really sure how much difference
there is between 108, 110 & 112 LSA, can any one comment? Would I really notice?

I spoke with Richard Iskydarian and he suggests a 112 LSA to increase vacuum to help the brake booster

and is suggesting going with a smaller lift around .520, which is close to
what I already have and my current cam
has a 112 LSA and its a dog, but thats with open chamber
low compression heads.
Richard also felt that the lift on the proposed cam
was too high to cam durability and high rocker ratio.

I'm running a 351c @ .030 over (aka 358CI).
Quenched 71 4v heads, one piece stainless valves with under cut stems, cleaned up bowls
Flattop pistons .025 in the hole (10.2-10.5 to 1 compression)
Have not decided on intake yet, but had an Edelbrock 351F manifold. 750 carb
Stock dual point distributor w/ vacuum adv that many need the advance recurved
I will be adding a 2.5 or 3.0 diameter exhaust in the near future, have a Hall 2.25" exhaust with dual glass pack.
Hydralic flat tappet lifters running lots of ZDDP.

Best regards,

Tom Borcich