[DeTomaso] difference in hp between efi and carb

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Wed Aug 26 11:52:36 EDT 2009

If we are to imagine what is best and gives most power, the fuel
injection or carburettor, so perhaps it is appropriate to sort
out why it would be in one way or the other. We have to do with
the channels in and out of the engine, which must be of certain
length and area for best effect.
Then the question is whether these dimensions would be different
for injection or carburetor?

Since the air entering the engine is enriched with fuel, which
can be done with either an electric injector or analogue spreader.
The question now is whether one or the other method provides
better atomization for maximum impact?

In the case of el-spreader, the channel remain completely unaffected
in shape of the injector. In the case of the carburetor ports,
we have a spreader on an arm and a tapered venture-section somewhere
along the pipe length.
The question becomes, would the injection channel be improved by
using such arrangement to be mounted in the way of air flow, even
though it then become silent?

In most instances the injection air feed system will look different
from that of an injection, using a plenum channel under the carb as
an example. So a comparison will not be very representative for what
is best.

Goran