[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Air Flow

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 25 23:47:04 EDT 2009

Esakov's problem wasn't exactly just 50 horses. It was that his engine was
already at 750 and he shifts gears like a drag-racer. Shock-loads seem to be
the problem up in this power region. Jr Wilson's monster big-block also
broke ZF input shafts by getting air above 220mph without backing off the
throttles, also shock-loading the tranny when the car hit the pavement under
power.

Jr had split Holley Dominators on a Hogan sheet metal intake. That put the
float bowl vents in line with the roof, so instead of cutting into the roof,
he cut the decklid's top loop plus a short amount of the rear roof and
built a scoop that sat on top of the carbs, above the roof line but quite a bit
further back than Colin Haney or Gregg Esakov had. It probably wasn't ideal
but did seem to gather enough cool air to support around 850 horses at over
230 mph without going lean. Interesting fact: Jr tried EFI early-on but lost
speed and burned valves, compared to carburetion. Dunno what system he
tried but it sat on a shelf in his shop for years. Might still be there....

And the gentleman from AZ that did cut the roof on his GR-4 clone, adding a
NACA-duct-type depressed intake: wonder how that worked out at speed? It
sure looked good and apparently used the area in the cabin above the console
so no head-bumping on a lowered roof. But since I'm incompetent at bodywork,
its something I will not personally attempt. Nevertheless, I enjoy all the
air flow speculation. Now, if someone can test some of these ideas and write
an article for those who don't live on the web, that would be ideal. Good
luck- J Deryke