[DeTomaso] Engine Bay Air Flow

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Mon Aug 24 19:10:17 EDT 2009

I have been interested in airflows in several respects. I have made
enough changes to my car I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to
what the current belief is. I prefer to find out for my self and
understand what effects certain changes have on things.

One thing I have done with my car (still under construction) is duct all
air out the hood and I have made a removable belly pan. There are some
other differences as well so what I eventually find on my car may not be
the same as a stock car.

I would like to gather data and not just a picture of some strings. I
wrote some software and made some circuits to read and data log engine
parameters; O2, EGT, rpm, timing, etc.

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars/ts/d2.jpg

This is easily adaptable to many things. One sensor to play with is a
pressure sensor to measure pressure on the car surface and to balance
carbs. Another sensor would be air flow. I would also like to attach
pots to suspension a-arms to measure compression at speed to measure
effects of down force.

At some point I would want to reference all this to a stock car as well
with and with out the tub. Evidently there is quite a bit of difference
with the tub in and out.

Gary