[DeTomaso] supercharger question

boyd casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 10:05:59 EDT 2009

I looked at whipples web site and they didn't seem to have a product for a
cleveland or a windsor. It seemed like all their super chargers were for
late model fords and the hot rod models seemed to all be for chevy's It seem
like there are allot more SC's for cheys. Or am I looking in the wrong
places? I have been thinking about it and I think I am going at my engine
upgrade ass backwards. When I started to put a pencil to it  I realized I
coulsd spend $8000 on just an efi and then not have the right heads. If I go
with new oistons heads a new cam I would be better off statring from
scratch. If I am going to build a forced induction engine I need lower
compression pistons. Check out this engine package:

The quick revving 427 Cobra Special is a maximum effort performance engine
that’s not for the faint of heart. Because it’s based on a 351 Windsor race
block, it is approximately 140 pounds lighter than the older big blocks.
>From the block to the crank, to the rods, to the induction system, the 427
Cobra Special is built to be an all-conquering powerhouse, yet is still a
street engine that runs on 91-octane pump gas. With its lumpy hydraulic
roller cam, the exhaust note is one that says “don’t mess with me“, and has
the power to back it up. Take a look at all the premium features of this
engine and you’ll see this is a real world performance engine that has all
the power your kit car or muscle car could want. And don’t forget to take a
look at the options list to personalize your 427 Cobra Special. We have
everything from dual-quads to Electronic Fuel Injection, to our bright and
shiny polish package.
• Individually dyno tested & calibrated with printout
• Very strong exhaust tone
• Requires 2,500+ stall converter
• Minimum vacuum for power brakes
• Accepts mechanical fuel pump
• Requires 91 Octane fuel
• 2 year limited warranty, unlimited mileage

Smeding 427 Cobra Special Features
Block: Dart Splayed Cab Four Bolt Mains, C.N.C Machined, 4.125 Bore,
Scalloped Water Jackets, One Piece Rear Main Seal
Crankshaft: 4340 Steel, Non-Twist Forging, Micro Polished, and Chamfered,
Internal Balance, 4.000” Stroke
Rods: 4340 Steel "H" Beam with 7/16" ARP Cap Bolts, 6.200" Length
Pistons: LightWeight Forged, Reverse Dome, 10.2 Compression, with Wrist Pin
Below Oil Ring
Rings: Low Friction Single Moly 1/16” x 1/16” x 3/16”
Camshaft: Custom Ground Hydraulic Roller .544”/.573” lift 238°/248° Duration
@.050”
Rocker Arms: 1.6 Ratio, Full Roller To Reduce Friction
Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr.
Cylinder Heads: Smeding / AFR, 205cc Intake port, Fully C.N.C Ported,
2.08"/1.60" Valves
Carburetor: Quick Fuel 750, Dual Feed, Double Pumper,Calibrated and Tuned on
our Dyno.
Distributor: Hall Effect Electronic, Polished Billet Aluminum Housing
http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Cobra+Special+560+Horsepower.html

This company has good ratings and customer feed back. In Fact Factory five
uses them for some of their engines for their kit cars'

This 427 is built on a brand new custom windsor block that has more neat so
it can be bored and stroked to a 427 and still maintain the size off the
windsor and  140 lbs less then a big block. They will also build your engine
with a super charger if you want (and use the correct pistons) they also
offer an edelbrock EFI , a weber set up ot dual quads. Basically what ever
you want. It is all blue printed and balanced and they doe a hot run in and
you get a dyno sheet from your actual engine. They are designed to give high
torque and HP across the spectrum and run omn pump gas. This one puts out
560 HP
*560 Horsepower
560 Ft. Lbs of Torque
$9,995 As shown including
dyno testing and tuning
*
So fo $10,000 I could have a 560 hp tested engine with a 2 year unlimited
mileage warranty! Plus I can modify it to any particulars I want and have it
built so that everythingis matched up ( as opposed to attempting to add
things like a super charger or efi that is not really matched to the engine)

Boyd