[DeTomaso] ZF gear ratio

Art Stephens artstephens at verizon.net
Sat Aug 22 17:21:26 EDT 2009

     My old blue car had the 4.22 ring and pinion with the tall .642 fifth
gear.  I was running 285/40-18 tires on the rear,  they were 27 inches in
diameter.  In top gear,  the car did 3 mph for every hundred rpm,  or 30 mph
for every thousand rpm.  Theoretically that would be 180 mph at 6000 rpm.  I
can only verify these numbers up to 80 mph as I believe that is the highest
speed limit in the land?  I would guess that keeping the car shiny side up
would be the biggest problem at higher speeds without aero modifications.