[DeTomaso] ZF gear ratio

Rich hoppe1 at cox.net
Fri Aug 21 20:48:41 EDT 2009

Actually the cars have more horsepower than gear ratio.
At least mine does.  When you get to something like 6500 rpms in 5th it
takes a lot of balls to hold the throttle down.  If you did the engine will
continue to rpm and depending on the engine you could blow.
I have had to pull off the throttle to hold the rpms at 6500 and it is kind
of scarry listening to the engine turn that hard not under load while
running at that speed.
My opinion is after about 140 mph things really start happening fast in the
car.  You really start puckering up and feel like you have to start steering
the car.  I have a lot of respect for MD driving above 150 for any length of
time.  To me the diference from 130 to 160 is like the diference of 50 to
120.  I know someone that blew at 145 and coasted to a stop, so it may not
be a problem.  I hope it is not me.
Rich