[DeTomaso] Two things questions

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 21 11:52:36 EDT 2009

Great advice.

I started to comment on the break in advice yesterday, but I held off.  Oh
well, so much for keeping my mouth shut.  Here's what I was going to say:

I don't agree with driving it hard to break it in.  I don't think it hurts,
but I don't think it's necessary, either.  The argument for breaking it in
hard is that the cross hatch wears off very fast.  I disagree.  If it
disappears that fast, then why is the crosshatch still visible several
thousand miles later?

Just like Bill said, just vary the RPM's, don't let it idle for a long
period, no matter how good it sounds.  Add break-in oils as recommended by
the cam manufacturer.  If it's a roller cam, there are no special break-in
oils.

Just be careful with it for the first few hundred miles.  Don't let it
overheat.  Watch for leaks.  Make sure the carburetor and timing is in the
ballpark.  Don't go on any long trips until you trust it.

I normally drive it in low gears on back roads rather than revving it to
3500 rpm's in my garage.  I also fill the oil a little higher than normal.
The cam only gets splash oiling.  More oil should equal more splash.

After 200 miles or so, I change the oil, adjust the valves, and drive it
normal - no racing.  I'm not easy on it to help the breakin.  I'm listening
for funny knocks, leaks, popping, etc.  It's hard to listen when you're
running it hard.

I change the oil again and adjust the valves at about 1,000 miles.  After
that, I change the oil on a normal schedule, plus I adjust the valves once a
year - when I'm bored.