[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 15:02:52 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/19/09 9:12:30 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Okay, so I think this is the first I've heard of needing a custom
> pump pickup with an Armando pan.  Please tell me more.

The pump pickup is included with the Avaid pan, as is a removeable
anti-reversion plate and its nylock nuts, so the pan can be effectively cleaned.
Since Armando worked for Aviaid and seems to have directly copied their design,
I assume his pan is also built with its own similar pickup and maybe the
reversion plate. The custom pickup pipe is slightly larger in diameter than
stock and has a small rectangular box on its end with a welded screen made of
perforated metal. It is sized to fit thru the pan's custom baffling and down
into the square trap-doored sump baffles, at the proper depth. It attaches
using bolts on the pump cover through an added brace, to deter cracking.
If you try to install a swap-meet Aviaid pan on an engine without the
custom attachments, you'll have lots of trouble getting the pan to even install.
I'm not saying that a persistent owner couldn't somehow force things
together, or cut and bend baffles & chop up a stock pickup, but it certainly won't
be easy and likely would be completely impossible with an installed engine.
How well such a combo would work is also unknown. Cheers- J Deryke