[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 14:34:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/19/09 7:23:36 AM, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> Ah, finally I understand why my 10 qt Armando only takes 9 qts to fill!!

Ford recommended the stock pan be over-filled by a quart (to 6), we think
because they were getting so many new Clevelands returned with rods hanging
out- hydraulic lifters or not. Bonneville racer Mike Cook did a short article
decades ago in which he said the typical 351-C with 5 quarts of oil inside,
when revved to 5000 rpms or above had about 1 quart trapped up in each of
the valve covers, another quart or so in the internal lines, the lifter
gallery, the filter and in the 'cloud' of vapor and droplets flying around with
the crank. This left only 1-2 quarts around the pump pickup; if the car was
also cornering, even a little, the pump sucked air and the bearings were
badly injured. The extra quart helped at the time since only home-made pans were
around back then.
Incidently, there are three different stock pans to be found on various
Cleveland models, but they all hold the same volume of oil as measured by a
stock dipstick. The differences are in rudimentary internal baffles but the
best (on the 351-HO & Boss) is still no match for an Aviaid/Armando pan. FWIW-
J Deryke