[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pans

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Aug 19 01:52:01 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/18/09 7:07:59 PM, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> I bought a used oil pan which I believe is a 10 qt pan. When filling it
> with the new oil, I want to bring it up to the full mark on the dipstick.
> This assumes that the dipstick is calibrated to have the oil
> at the right level in the crank case to get the proper splashing, etc.
> Then after running the engine a bit, top it off to the full mark again. This
> should  be about 10 qts worth.

First, the actual volume is less important than the presence or absense of
baffles with trap-doors, scrapers and splash-guards inside a pan with a
larger than stock sump. There are '10' qt pans out there that are simple open
buckets, meant for drag racing. In a Pantera that corners as hard as it
accelerates, these cheap pans have caused blown engines.
Aviaid and Armando fully baffled pans will hold 10 quarts if they're
overfilled as Ford advised on the 351-Boss and 351-HOs for warranty purposes.
Filled to 'normal' on a stock dipstick, the volume is about 8 qts not counting
oil coolers, remote filters etc. This level works fine with these pans
on-track; 10 full quarts is not needed unless you're running long-distance
endurance races. These two very desirable pans also have custom pump pickups; a
stock pump pickup wil not fit an Aviaid nor Armando pan. Good luck- J Deryke