[DeTomaso] 10 qt oil pans

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 22:38:34 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/18/09 19 09 44, JJD1010 at aol.com writes:

> I am planning on changing my oil this weekend and I just want to be sure
>> have this right. I bought a used oil pan which I believe is a 10 qt pan.
> When  filling it with the new oil, I want to bring it up to the full mark
> on
> the  dipstick. This assumes that the dipstick is calibrated to have the
> oil
> at the  right level in the crank case to get the proper splashing, etc.
> Then
> after running the engine a bit, top it off to the full mark again. This
> should  be about 10 qts worth.
>
> Yes?

Yes, but....

Yes, assuming your dipstick and dipstick tube are both the proper length.
The dipstick should be 38 inches, and should have a yellow handle
(indicating that it was either made to the proper length or modified to the proper
length by Ford).   The early cars had dipsticks that were about an inch too
short (meaning you would have too much oil in the pan).   Although the proper
fix for those cars is to cut the dipstick and braze another inch of material
in there, the other solution is to simply cut an appropriate amount from
the end of the dipstick tube, so that the too-short dipstick can extend
further into the motor.