[DeTomaso] Pressure cap pressure

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 13:12:54 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/18/09 8:28:43 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> But what about the depth of the water neck the cap goes on?  I can
> measure the depth of the stock swirl tank as between 1/8 "and 1/4" deeper than
> other water necks.  This concerns me as a 16 lb cap may not give me 16 lb if
> the water neck does not have the correct depth.

Three options:
1- have the neck removed and a U.S-made neck added. This also deletes the
usually rough-as-a-cob bottom of Pantera swirl tanks where the poor cap
gasket is required to seal but often doesn't. I did this the same year we bought
our car (1980) and it still works just fine. Any radiator shop can do it
expertly in a few minutes, cheap.

2- use a Mercedes cap -or other euro-made cap, carried in stock, at
outrageous prices- in their parts depts. I know they carry 20-lb and probably lower
pressures as well. Mine has no brand name- only 'G-7' and 'assembled in
Mexico', along with 'Do not open when hot' and '20 lb'.

3- check your system pressure with a gauge mounted in a junk rad cap and
see at what pressure a 16-lb cap opens. As I mentioned, a 13-lb cap was
more-or-less stock on most Panteras when new and that may be where a "16" lb cap
opens on your Pantera, if you're lucky. At least you'll know what you need.
Good luck- J Deryke