[DeTomaso] SPOILER-Re: Pressure cap pressure

dickruzzindesign dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Tue Aug 18 10:51:14 EDT 2009

My experience in the windtunnel showed this, consistently.

A spoiler that is positioned to be as close to the bottom of the radiator as possible, with the bottom edge one inch below the bottom of the car, (the underbody), will work very well for cooling. It causes a vacuum behind the radiator, helping to draw air through it. It also helps prevent , when in traffic or stopped, heated air from circling forward and re-entering the radiator, drawn in by the fans.

My spoiler works so well that with the fans not running on the freeway my little light at shows fans running glows at about 50%.

A lower spoiler at that location will not help drag much.

I used a soft rigid plastic, 1/4 inch thick, pop riveted to a 1/2 inch piece of angle iron. It was mounted to the frame with two bolts acting as a hinge, allowing it to swing back if you impacted something.  All you need is a spoiler about six inches wider than the radiator.

I do not know what a Pantera looks like down there or I would help you design it.
See my cooling article on Mangusta International under technical articles.
--
All the best, Dick Ruzzin.