[DeTomaso] Best Water pump

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 16:49:47 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/17/09 12:46:22 PM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> What is the best water pump to run in the 351C?  No bypass
> necessary, best cooling, etc.   Brand, part number.

First, this is not a 'magic bullet' assembly. I don't believe that ANY
waterpump is so markedly superior that a user could notice it in terms of
lowering engine temperatures. So in that regard, any pump that fits will keep the
engine from overheating. But some hi-buck aftermarket assemblies have been
known to crack their impellers loose from the shaft, stopping water flow and
causing overheating with no outward sign anything's wrong- except boiling
water on the ground.

My personal choice is the Weiand 8209. This is a flat-impeller blade pump
with no backing plate and no bypass channel, sold everywhere for less than
$80. It circulates water in stock of modified engines just fine, which is
about all one can expect. It's easy to add a backplate to the Weiand impeller,
but this will not lower your engine temps. It is roughly 1/2 the weight of a
stock iron pump. My example has endured over 18 years of use with no
problems except for a cracked heater boss- from overtightening a block-off plug. I
welded the crack in 1995 and continue to use it today. The Weiand is also
rebuildable, making it an economically desirable assembly. FWIW- J Deryke