[DeTomaso] Engine run after switching off ignition

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 01:18:00 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/16/09 10:56:41 AM, Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se writes:

> I have finally gotten around to fix the run-after problem after
> installing the EDIS ignition.
>
> My schematic (1984 GT5) shows a resistor in parallel with the alt light,
> close to the speedo. In my car there is no resistor, the bulb acts as the
> resistor......

It gets worse. Our '72 L also had no resistor and the bulb not only is the
resistor, it's the ground termination for the alternator's field circuit. If
the field circuit opens, the next time the engine is run, the alt will not
charge!   As I found out when our bulb broke its filament out. I curently
own two perfectly good alternators and voltage regulators.....
Eons ago, my 250 Bultaco's Femsa magneto also used the tail Iight filament
as a system ground, so when the single cylinder dirt bike's vibration broke
its tail light bulb, the engine quit. Its been several decades but I still
remember that long walk home, pushing the thing. I advise at least looking up
there and if the resistor is not visible, add one like Thomas did. Cheap
insurance- J Deryke