[DeTomaso] Engine run after switching off ignition

Thomas Tornblom Thomas.Tornblom at hax.se
Sun Aug 16 13:56:03 EDT 2009

I have finally gotten around to fix the run-after problem after
installing the EDIS ignition.

My schematic (1984 GT5) shows a resistor in parallel with the alt light,
close to the speedo. In my car there is no resistor, the bulb acts as
the resistor.

I installed a 1N5402 3 amp diode in series with the alt light. I added
it in the speedo harness as I was working in that area anyway. The
engine now stops when I switch the ignition off, no need to press the
brake pedal. It can go anywhere in the light circuit, either the
blue/black wire to the alt or the white wire to the lamp. The ring
(cathode) should be in the direction of the alt, so that current can
flow through it and the lamp to energize the field in the alt, but block
any current going from the alt to the ignition.

This is a simple fix for those with MSD or other after market ignitions
that makes the engine run after killing the ignition.

The diode specs are not critical. A 1 amp diode should work just as
well. The current through it is just the amount drawn by the tiny lamp.

Thomas

--
Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom at Hax.SE
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 444 33 21