[DeTomaso] new carburetor starting problem, need help

larry at ohiotimecorp.com larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Sat Aug 15 16:51:00 EDT 2009

Hi Clay,

If you spray around the base with carb cleaner or WD-40 and hear the RPM
change you know there is a vacuum leak.

Simple test.

Larry (simple man) - Cleveland

On Sat Aug 15 15:56 , clay willmott  sent:

>I have the new carb on with electric choke.
>
>it took forever to start and when it does it either revs up a lot on its own
and I have to turn it off before rpm goes too high or if I hand adjust the
throttle linkage to idle it will fast idle but die if I touch the gas pedal.

>What is this and how do I correct it?
>
>What I have done:  The choke seems to operate ok will open up in 40 seconds
or so with ignition on.  No gas leaks.
>I have the three vacuum ports blocked off except the one to my pcv in the
valve cover.
>I did NOT use a gasket only the large 9266 edelbrock spacer, was told NOT to
use a gasket with the spacer.

>Is this all a vacuum leak?
>
>Thanks
>Clay

>Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you.
>http://www.bing.com/cashback\?
form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_BackToSchool_Cashback_BTSCashback_1x1