[DeTomaso] Cylinder Wall question

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 15 13:48:03 EDT 2009

Your water temps won't go up.  You're making the same amount of heat.
You're not changing the effectiveness of the radiator or any other part of
the cooling system.

Your oil temps will go up, though, since it can't transfer as much heat to
the water.  For me, it was 20-40 degrees higher, not 10 degrees.

The bottom half of the engine block will run hotter.  It's probably not good
for the bearings, but like I said, run an oil-to-water heat exchanger, and
you'll be fine.

After I dropped a valve and blew a cylinder in my half-filled block, I
decided to get a new block rather than sleeving my filled block.  If I were
drag racing, I'd definitely do a fill - half or full.  For the street, it
makes more sense to leave it alone.