[DeTomaso] Cylinder Wall question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 15 02:32:55 EDT 2009

I'm guessing but some wall discolorations are from the wall actually
flexing away from the hone during cylinder bore finishing, or from rings skipping
over thin spots, leaving a funny wear pattern. Sonic-map the thing so you
know what you've got! And don't be surprised if you have to go thru 3 or 4
blocks to find one thats worth fooling with. As usual on Cleveland blocks, I
advise ALL blocks be sonic mapped before investing one dime more. I've seen
030"-over blocks that had less than 0.080" wall thicknesses; I have a piece of
one laying on my desk that broke iat high rpms, and nothing was left
useable including one of the two heads. Such blocks are not recommended for any
except standard horsepower- and even that is iffy. Performance Chev engine
builders get nervous when wall thickness drops below 0.200"....
 Good luck- J Deryke