[DeTomaso] supercharger question

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 17:01:22 EDT 2009

Dang.  I've gone through several possible engine combinations in my mind.
351C, stroker 351C, 4.6 dohc supercharged, 4.6 dohc turbo, 460, 392 Hemi,
and even 429 Boss and 427 sohc (briefly).  I had finally made peace with
351C + Webers, and then you had to get me started all over again.  Dang you.

My opinion is that turbos would be -much- easier than a supercharger.  I'd
cut 2 big holes for the exhaust, near where the mufflers are normally
mounted.  I'd mount 2 turbos at the back with the exhaust going out the big
square hole where the a/c normally mounts.  With most turbos, you need an
oil line, plus an oil return.  It will be frothy, so you'll need an
accumulation tank - and then a pump to get it back to the pan.  If you mount
the turbos high, they can gravity drain to the pan, but that means you can't
mount them at the back.

You can do a carburetor or EFI.  With EFI, you can make a ton of HP and keep
your drivability.  You'd be surprised at how much HP you can make with a
carb and a turbo.  There's a website dedicated to carb+turbo.  It's pretty
cool.  It's all drag racers, though, so you probably won't get a lot of tech
tips on how to make it idle AND run 30 lbs of boost.

This is all a lot of work.  If you do it yourself, plan on killing at least
one engine.  If you hire it out, at least to size everything, you may have
better luck.

Ask a lot of questions about turbos.  I had a 4-cylinder turbo.  It ate
spark plugs.  It had the turbo mounted close to the plugs, though.  It got
pretty hot at times.

My advice is to do a warmed over 351C.  Engine swaps, turbos, superchargers,
and so on are all a lot of work.  It's easy to do a simple performance build
on a 351C.  When you're done, you'll have plenty of power, and you'll get to
enjoy your car.  When you finally get bored with the power level, try
something else.