[DeTomaso] Cylinder Wall question

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 14 15:23:29 EDT 2009

I had the same spots on my block a few years ago.  I thought it was cracked.
When I got the block out, I realized they were stains - very light rust
stains.

There's probably a rule-of-thumb, like if you can catch your fingernail on
them, they're a problem.  If you can't don't worry.

Most likely they aren't a problem, but you need to determine how deep they
are.

Here's a weird question.  Are 351C blocks special in this respect?  Are they
made of a different iron composition that makes them leave rust stains?  I
don't remember seeing these stains on the 302's that I used to run, nor on
the 428CJ that I had.  The 428CJ sat in a barn under a tarp for 10 years.
When I took it apart, there weren't any weird rust marks on it.  The 302's
blew -many- head gaskets.  I'm sure they sat for months at a time with water
residue in the cylinders.  I don't remember seeing any stains whatsoever -
but then, that was a long time ago.

Incidentally, on another 351C block, it had rust spots on the standard
bores.  I had them bored 0.030 due to the taper, but not all of the spots
came out.  Rather than boring until the spots came out, I left a couple of
the pits in the cylinders.  The pits are very small.  I doubt they're going
to cause a problem.