[DeTomaso] Rear Bushing Material

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 14:48:13 EDT 2009

Tom, I don't think the upper bushings were different materials originally,
and certainly aren't with available reproductions. What happens is, the
lower rear a-arm bushings are the most heavily loaded in the while car, as are
the lower rear shock bushings. So on a vigorously- driven Pantera, those
bushings will be stressed more and will deteriorate faster. I never was able to
keep stock lower shock bushings in those areas in decent condition- often
having them break down after a year, so badly that the shock body touched the
a-arm mounts, causing a squeek. This's another reason to use polyurethane at
least in the loaded areas. You will likely never notice an increase in road
noise, they are cheaper and handling precision goes up, too. Good luck- J
Deryke