[DeTomaso] Fwd: RE: Drilled Bolts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 14:31:32 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/12/09 12:42:12 PM, MACHWIL at aol.com writes:

> Carroll Smith, in his book (bible?) on fasteners is of the opinion
> that spring lock washers are
> not good, especially in high torque applications.

I agree. I've had them break in pieces, which is I guess what Mr Smith's
complaint was about. When this happens, the 'spring' goes away, a piece works
its way out eventually followed by the rest of the washer and suddenly
you've got an 0.060"-thick space between the bolt head and the part it supposedly
is holding. If this is one of the halfshaft bolts for instance, a severe
vibration will occur. If its a cylinder head bolt (or nut), a blown gasket
will follow. I don't use them in high torque areas at all, only flat washers.
FWIW- J Deryke