[DeTomaso] Question on Throttle Cable /Springs on Carb

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 17:15:39 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/11/09 14 12 53, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I switched to a smaller carburetor and my previous carburetor had a
> throttle cable inside a spring.  By this I mean there is no separate safety
> spring but the throttle cable in the spring assembly pushes back towards the
> rear of the car at rest.
>
> On the directions and other Panteras I have seen the cable to the carb is
> a simple cable and they have an apparatus or method of making/converting a
> safety spring.
>
> Does anyone know if the Pantera is suppossed to have only this cable
> inside a spring and no other springs?
> If not does anyone have an easy fix or pics?
>
> I removed an 800 cfm Holley 4150 series and put on a new Edelbrock 650cfm.

The original setup used a standard cable, and a single external spring.
This isn't particularly safe.   Track tech rules call for two springs.   The
aftermarket cables have an integral return spring.

Any auto parts store will carry a normal double-throttle spring setup, with
one spring nested inside the other.   The solution is to abandon one of
those springs, and just run a single spring between the linkage and the intake,
and the spring on the cable, for a total of two.   Works great, lasts long
time.

What you don't want is super-stiff throttle springs that make it difficult
to modulate the power.