[DeTomaso] Centerforce Clutches

Will Demelo wdemelo at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 11 16:53:06 EDT 2009

I've just smoked my second centerforce pos clutch. I called Centerforce and here are the details....
I have a stroker 393 w/ 430 ft/lbs torque to the rear wheels. The diaphram style pp and dual friction clutch held on the street but not on the track. The pp and disk, part # 021057S is recommended for a max of 525 lbs torque at the flywheel (hard to find on the website). So my motor was right at the limit. The tech guy said that my 250 miles of " seating" was not enough. I should have seated the clutch for 500 miles. I don't drive the car for 500 miles in a year. $800 later, I've invested in a Borg/Beck style clutch (another $400). Hopefully it will hold. For those that will reply that the centerforce has held with your monster motors, take it to the track. Let me know if it holds. That is the true test.
BTW, there is a stronger setup available from Centerforce (620 lbs/torque) part # DF920830. The press plate holes need to be opened up slightly to allow 3/8 bolts.
I thought they would've offered me a discount on a better setup but I got the shaft.
Will (live, learn and pay) D