[DeTomaso] Steering Rack Lube & GT5 wheel spacers

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Tue Aug 11 10:22:56 EDT 2009

Hi Mike

I recently rebuilt the rack in my 72 Pantera. It had never been apart. My
car shows 25K on the odometer. Thanks for the articles you have done on
this. They were a great resource and helped me a lot.

While doing the job, I noticed that I could add grease through the empty
hole after removing one of the bolts. I marked that bolt head with white
paint. I'm sending you a photo of that. perhaps you would like to check it
out next time you do a rack. I don't know enough about Pantera rack
variations to say it will work for everyone, but I did it. I was pleased to
find that my rack was just like new inside and very smooth to turn. The
right end bushing was worn out, as expected, and the factory lube was
getting very low and getting to be scum on some parts. The original factory
fill did not smell like EP90 hypoid gear oil. It was heavy oil, but probably
more like old style mild manual transmission oil as opposed to hypoid diff
oil.

I couldn't find the assembly grease you recommended, but I did get some
semi-liquid lithium based extreme pressure NGLI "00" grease from an Ariens
snowblower dealer! It is beautiful blue stuff that is right between grease
and heavy oil. Photo attached.

Cheers
Barry