[DeTomaso] Steering Rack Lube & GT5 wheel spacers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 02:57:27 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/10/09 11:19:27 PM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Whilst working on the suspension I note my steering rack seems dry. How
> is everyone getting grease into the rack, is just a case of removing the
> boots and forcing as much grease in as I can? Is there a preference for type
> of grease?

According to the manual, adding too much lube can build up enough pressure
to blow the rubber bellows off the rack housing. As I said in a recent post
on the subject, its far easier to take the rack out, drain whatever's there
and add the specified amount.   I built a sight-gauge on our rack and found
the proper level (1/3 pint +- 10%) barely keeps the bottom of the rack teeth
wet. Then, when you turn the wheels, the rubber bellows on each end act
like a crude pump and forces a wave of fresh lube towards the other end.
Obviously, the bellows must both clamp tight to the steering rod extensions for
this to work; if the rod slides thru the bellows 'cause a clamp is loose, the
pumping doesn't happen and you'll probably have a small leak besides. The
Pantera Service Highlights manual describes all this, specifies the lube
(90-wt gear lube) and shows exploded views of the parts during an illustrated
factory rebuild of a Pantera rack. Your '80 GT-5 uses a slightly different rack
than your '74 but only in small details. Good luck- J Deryke