[DeTomaso] efi horse power gain

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Aug 11 02:37:33 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/10/09 9:36:18 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The one additional cost C3 and D3 heads is the shaft rockers they use,
> but at the end of the day, I think they can still be cheaper than most the
> other aftermarket heads.

One owner found there was no off-the-shelf 4bbl intake for C-3 heads after
he'd bought them, and wound up buying Quella's EFI system as a 'best
alternative' for $4600 extra... on top of a $1000 Jesel rocker system. Both needed
some rework to actually make the Cleveland run. The intake alternative was a
'blank' intake that needed substantial machining everywhere to fit. This
was a few years ago, so maybe the supply has changed, but I'd check real
closely before buying brand new C or D- SVO heads. Real-racing parts are uncommon
and expensive but sometimes you can get used package deals that includes
some of the hi-buck stuff. As Julian said, the problem with racing heads &
intakes, you don't know if that motor was ported for Martinsville where the
cars run 9600 rpms all race, or Talledega where they turn a max of 6500. FWIW-
J Deryke