[DeTomaso] Steering Rack Lube & GT5 wheel spacers

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 02:18:53 EDT 2009

I'm doing some suspension work and caster modifications prior to the trip to Monterey as I'd dearly like to drive without white knuckles from holding the steering so tight due to the current tendency to track every line in the road.

Whilst working on the suspension I note my steering rack seems dry. How is everyone getting grease into the rack, is just a case of removing the boots and forcing as much grease in as I can? Is there a preference for type of grease?

I have heard mention of wheel spacers used on GT4 and GT5 cars, in fact Wilkinson shows such a part in his catalog but no details. Anyone happen to know what thickness spacer was used? Prior to full lock my tires rub on the footwell area and I'm guessing that will likely only get worse now I have added caster.

Thanks,

Julian