[DeTomaso] Broken Block

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 14:15:26 EDT 2009

Dunno if an expert welder could melt on a blob that could be successfully
drilled. Even though I've done some welding, cast iron welding still eludes
me- getting good results without cracking an hour later is akin to black
magic IMHO. Cast iron welding or even brazing requires preheating to a pretty
high temperature; I think at the end, you'd have more in the repair than
another whole engine would cost.   If you're in love with that particular block,
I'd try building a motor plate that forms the motor mount from a flat plate
bolted to the front of the block and spans from one side of the subframe
rails to the other (assuming the break didn't strike water.,...). Otherwise,
I'd go look for another block and move the good components over. My best
guess- J Deryke