[DeTomaso] Valve Stem seal and Keeper replacement

Barry Seib oldwheel at mts.net
Sun Aug 9 16:09:16 EDT 2009

Tomas
I don't think you can use the stock 351CJ or 4V spring retainers when
switching to single groove keepers and valves. When I did this, I bought a
used set of steel BOSS 351 keepers on ebay and used them with new single
groove keepers (7 degree I think?) and Ferrea valves. I think the stock 351C
retainers are unique to the stock valves and keepers. In fact I think there
is more than one variation of these three groove parts assys in the 335
engine production series. (351c, 351M, etc).

You could not switch to original Ford Boss 351 valves (with single groove)
and keepers either unless you used the Boss retainers to match. I think it
is the stock 351C parts that are odd sized. The Boss 302/351 parts are
likely what Ferrea consider "standard" keepers and retainers.

Barry

On the subject of keepers I have a question that I asked before but never
got a reply for. What single groove keepers will allow me to keep the stock
spring retainers when switching to new valves? I can find new keepers match
the angle but not ones that match the old keeper OD. I've been unable to
find aftermarket retainers that dimensionally replicate the stock ones for
correct installed valve spring height.

Tomas