[DeTomaso] Valve Stem seal and Keeper replacement

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Aug 8 20:39:17 EDT 2009

Based on a recommendation from Dan Jones (our favorite 351C engineer
type), I purchased some new Comp Cams keepers for the valve stems on my
engine.  I plan to run the engine basically stock in the Silver State
Classic Challenge.  Dan has told me the stock valve stems and keepers
can separate after long use, and possibly at high rpm.  I don't plan on
any blazing speeds like Mad Dog but I do plan on triple digits.  So I
felt it prudent to take Dan up on his suggestion.  While in there, I
figured I'd change valve stem seals too, as I've rebuilt other 351C's
and found nothing left of the original seals.

To do the job, I used a compression tester that had an air hose nipple.
After removing the shrader valve from the hose and screwing the hose
into the cylinder, I dialed my shop air to about 65 psi.  Before hooking
the compression tester hose to shop air, I cranked the engine to TDC on
#5 and using a wire, verified the piston was near the top.  The air
keeps the valves seated while using a spring compressor to remove the
springs.  I discovered higher air pressure spun the engine over, but at
65, the piston stayed put and the valves stayed closed.

The seals and keepers are replace one valve at a time.  Do everything on
one, then do the other.  Then move to the next cylinder.  I started on
cylinder number 5, drivers side, front.  Both the intake and exhaust
seals were intact and looked rather good, except they were hard as a
rock.  I replaced them both with new seals sourced from Napa.  These are
stock type seals, not positive lock seals.  I didn't want to mess with
machining the guides, especially as the valves are still installed.
After installing the new keepers, I moved on.  When I got to number 6,
things changed.  I started finding really toasted seals.

It took a few hours, changing everything on one cylinder, then removing
the air, rotating the engine, verifying the cylinder I was at was on
TDC, installing air, compressing springs, changing seals and keepers,
replacing springs and moving on.  Repeat seven times.

It was a darn worthwhile job and I'm very glad I did it.  You'll see why
when you check out the photos and more comments here:
http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2951

Now I have to clean up the valve covers, do some cleaning and vacuuming
in the heads, torque all the rockers back in place and put the valve
covers on.  Darn near done.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie