[DeTomaso] NPT,  Toyota Dealer Rip Off

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 14:38:31 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/7/09 2:07:56 PM, chendric at bellsouth.net writes:

> I thought the way the mechanics were able to make a good living was by
> being able to beat the "Flat Rates Manual" times. Do some stealerships still
> have the mechanics getting commissions on parts?

Scut-jobs like anti-freeze and oil changes are usually given to the new guy
in the shop, who often doesn't have seniority or the experience to 'beat
the book'. But that only benefits him if he's got other jobs lined up behind
yours that can be done the same day. Otherwise, the time gained is used
drinking coffee, completing paperwork or cleaning his tools- not big
money-makers. Dunno if the parts kick-back system is always in place or only at certain
hungry dealers- and some authorized/non-authorized repair shops. If you
think dealers are high priced, try getting repairs done cheaply at a service
station on a major interstate highway ....
Some shops & dealers are OK; most are not, which is why whenever possible,
I recommend doing it yourself. You'll care more about your cars than any
paid worker ever could, and with a new mechanic you're essentially subsidizing
his education. Better you should learn yourself what going on in your
vehicle- and that goes for some 'free' warranty work, too. FWIW- J Deryke