[DeTomaso] DICK RUZZIN / An airplane story, I thought a lot of you military types would enjoy this.

dickruzzindesign dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 21:40:59 EDT 2009

I wrote this letter to the Grosse Pointe News in response to another that was written the week before, complaining about a plane that had been flown over Grosse Pointe Park.  The letter writer complained about the noise and expected that next experimental missiles would fly over.  Much to my delight my letter was printed this week.

THE PLANE OVER GROSSE POINTE PARK
I saw the plane too, it was a thrilling and spectacular sight.  I also saw one last year, but just briefly, during the Gold Cup Races around noon.  This year I was ready, as soon as I heard it I knew it was a military plane and I rushed out of my house over to the corner which has a low horizon accross the trees looking toward the Detroit River.

I could hear it moving toward the West, then silence for a few seconds, it must have been miles away.  Suddenly I heard it again, deep rolling thunder that just kept getting louder and louder, then some low sounds and a sustained roar that  seemed to be in the same location. I looked toward the river and it appeared between the trees, slowly climbing vertically through the misty blue sky.

It climbed and climbed, slowed to a roaring stop and then gracefully rolled over, diving, it again vanished in silence behind the trees of Grosse Pointe Park.   Silence.   I could then hear it traveling toward the West and then  turning North and becoming louder as it came my way.  There it was again, very close, a beautiful and powerful silvery shape above the trees tearing through the sky in a sharp low turn, traveling at incredible speed.  It flew just over me, slightly West and climbing.  For a brief second I could see straignt into the tailpipes of it?s two engines, they were filled with white hot flame.

It dove and vanished behind the trees, I could hear it leaving and then--- silence agian. I stood still and waited as I hoped to see it one more time. Suddenly, from the South it appeared low on the horizon, speeding along silently followed a second later by a boom. It sped on and quickly vanished.

I would like to see that plane here every day, so that it could remind everyone that flying it is a special young American that has volunteered to spend years of his or her life to be schooled and trained to defend this great country and it?s Constitution.  Yes, that plane made noise and I enjoyed every second of it.

God bless that pilot.

Dick Ruzzin, Grosse Pointe Park / 7-31-09
--
All the best, Dick Ruzzin.