[DeTomaso] drilled bolts for brake calipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 15:29:24 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/7/09 6:42:37 AM, boyd411 at gmail.com writes:

> question: I suppose that aircraft grade hardware  (nuts and bolts) that
> are pre drilled are probably prohibitively expensive and harder to get ( You
> can't just run up to the local hardware  store)

Real aircraft bolts, nuts and washers are more expensive than
hardware-store bolts, partly because they must be certified to be used in aircraft, to
counteract the far-east counterfeit bolts that have been plauging the fastener
industry for the last 10 or so years. Real fasteners are   readily
available from Aircraft Spruce, a kit-airplane shop in the L.A area and also in
Georgia (www.aircraft-spruce.com) but not in metric sizes. A-S is also a prime
source for carbon-fiber cloth, fiberglas cloth, various resins and paints and
specilized tools. Their catalogue has been a mainstay of most race car
shops incuding Carroll Smith's (Ford racing crew chief and author of the 'XX to
win' series of books). I've done business with them for 15 yrs and can
recommend them highly.
Cheap safety-wire pliers from the far east work pretty much as the U.S-made
ones I've been using for decades except maybe for longevity of the
wire-cutter jaws; cutting ss wire is kind of hard on most cutters. Once you have a
pair in your toolbox, you'll find yourself using them more & more. For
instance, I used them to safety-wire (0.020" ss wire) all 350 drip-irrigation
nozzles for our home landscaping, to keep water pressure surges from blowing the
drippers out of the little rubber hoses. MUCH cheaper than hundreds of
little hose clamps! Good luck- J Deryke