[DeTomaso] NPC Hey Computer (Communication) geeks!

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 18:22:23 EDT 2009

Yes, well this is why I tried to simplify so much...

and when I use the various "speed tests", like that which is available at DSL Reports,
my measured bandwidth is amazingly consistent.

While building or maintaining the DeTomaso Registry, I have to move large files,
and large groups of smaller files every day.  I hit "time-outs" too often.
So I needed to 3-rd check the back-of-the-envelop estimates I came up with to determine
how long a given transfer will take.

Recently, I was asked to explain the topic... and you never realize how much (or little)
you remember about a subject, until you explain it to someone (or several someones).
BIG A$$ GRIN.  And just when you skim over some minor detail to simplify the explanation
someone (usually a kid!) asks about that very detail... package wrapping, comm. protocol
layers, Ack/nack response delays, (SECDEC) single error correction, double error
detection, and so on...

and BTW: using the 10% of quoted bandwidth to get actual thru put, is like estimating
a 90% burden or overhead cost, or bandwidth consumption, or whatever...to take into
account ALL the "non-product" data.

Chuck

Well, you also need to factor in the load on both machines (sending and
receiving), latency times, whether you are transmitting in Full or Half
Duplex, how many hops (routers) are between you and the destination machine.
Traffic load on the route your packets take, lost packets, etc. Also, there
are overhead delays related to creating the packets, receiving and verifying
them and acknowledging back the receipt.  You are correct in compensating
for the wrapper that gets attached to each packet (piece of your file) that
you send.  Without them, it will never get there.

Overhead of 25% is not unusual.

Generally speaking, you can divide your quoted bandwidth by 10 for a rough
estimate of your effective transfer rate. So, 384kbps roughly downloads at
38KBps, or 38k Bytes per second.  1000 (1 MB rounded off) / 38k = 26
seconds. Your mileage will vary.

Go to DSLreports.com and use their tools to measure your bandwidth.  You
will get a different number every time.