[DeTomaso] Campy ?Powder Coat? Code Needed

Fernando Bianchi bianchito at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 08:42:05 EDT 2009

Seeing so many answers on the topic, I would like to share my 2 cents:

"Interesting enough,when I took my stock Campys over to them to have the same thing done, they
refused to touch them because they were magnesium. Go figure."Powder coating needs a treated, activated surface to grab to: on aluminium is usually done with a chromic pre-treatment, iron is done with cataphoresys..etc. Magnesium I dont know. (but I should start checking to do my campy's too!!)
Like a few articles on the topic mention, magnesium has tensions, that need to be pasivated before  the actula coating takes place, if not bubbles and strays of paint will appear everywhere. If that plant didnt treat regularly with non common alloys, they did well rejecting the job, in order to not screw the wheels!!

"they used a two step process. The argent silver was a liquid paint which was followed by a clear
powder coat. "Paint and then a ceramic varnish. Vey hard varnish that adds shine and and durability. These 2 steps can also be done in powder coating.

"My impression is that powder coated "silver" is just a light grey color
because they can't put enough aluminum flakes in the material to produce a
true silver."
True, MICA flakes are used. Any metal in the paint will oxidise with tinme and the efect will dissapear, thats why mica is used for exterior applications (and most paints). However there are many VERY GOOD (AMAZING paints that recreate metallic looks).

Jeff, Ask your coater for RAL 9007 colour samples. Its slightly darker than standard silver metallic, but again depends on the paints brand and the machinery (different oven, different bake) they use to have a darker or lighter colour.

Fernando in Spain. *1959
PS: I just run 2 powder coating plants.....