[DeTomaso] McLaren M8F cockpit cam at Raod America

Thomas Borcich tborcich at msn.com
Thu Aug 6 01:04:59 EDT 2009

Kjetil,

Yep they are beasts, but what is amazing is that M8F has so much
more horsepower than what my McLaren had...530 vs 1019 HP. Mine was
setup for endurance and never saw over 6500-7000 rpm. Just didn't
need that much power in vintage events, but since the cars are only 1400 pounds,
530 hp still got your attention. Imagine what a Pantera would be like at 1400 pounds.

The McLaren in the video is probably turning(with a good driver)faster lap times
than the car ever did when it was being raced in the actual Can Am...
much better tires and that engine is 598 cubes producing about 200 more
ponies than they saw in 1972. As I recall, the biggest motors during
the CanAm were 510 inches with an occasional 560 experiment that lived a few laps.
The first time I drove my McLaren at Laguna Seca(old track)one of the guys
that taught me the track was Rick Knoop who was driving "the McLaren M20 Team Car"
that Denny Hulme drove...Rick was turning two seconds a lap faster than Denny
every got out of the car at the track. Rick said the reason was the tires were so much better.
Rick was no slouch either...he drove a 962 for the BF Goodrich team and was very fast.
The M8F in the video needs all the grip it can get.

I got information that when the Rosso Bianco collection was broken up a few years ago
my McLaren was sold, but it stayed in Europe and is being vintage raced as we speak.
I hear that vintage racing in Europe is almost like professional racing
here...they show up with transporters, crew and rent-a-drivers.Best regards,

Tom Borcich