[DeTomaso] Dan Jones Dyno update

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 19:30:42 EDT 2009

> The meaningful test would be to put the Magnaflow muffler on a 2.25 inch
> pipe and see what happens.

Given the short length of the intermediate pipe, it may not be the
restriction you think it is.  I can probably answer this question with
an engineering text book by calculating the head loss for smooth wall
pipe of various diameters versus length.  Still, it would be worth
testing.  I was considering testing an intermediate size of 2.5" though,
not 2.25".  That puts the cross-sectional area at 4.9 square inches, a
meaningful increase that can still be easily routed past the Pantera
halfshafts.  The collector exit is 2.25" diameter and does not appear
to greatly choke the flow since the 3" exhaust with GTS headers is
within 5 HP of the 3" collector long tube headers with the same Magnaflow
mufflers.

> I think it would be easier to cobble together a system with 2.25 inch pipes
> and the Magnaflow mufflers rather than finding and destroying a GTS system
> in order to test the theory.   Dan, whaddayasay?

Agreed.  Dave mentioned he has a guy that does good exhaust work at
a reasonable price.  I've considered dropping off my Pantera to have
the exhaust fabricated but the car currently has iron 4V heads and
Hall headers and I'll be running high port heads with matching headers
so anything I have fabricated now won't match the later set up.  Simpler
would be to a couple of diameters of straight pipes that could later be
bent to fit the Pantera.

Magnaflow makes a single inlet, dual outlet muffler with 3" inlet
and dual 2.5" outlets (inlet area = 7.1 square inches, exit area
9.8 square inches, 2.25" dual outlets would be sufficient at 8
square inches).  Another option would be dual round Magnaflow mufflers
Y'd together like the big bore mufflers.

Dan Jones