[DeTomaso] Shock tower crossmember measurement

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Aug 3 17:06:51 EDT 2009

All the 'experts' say to NOT use the bar preload capability to re-zero your
chassis, but it worked for me on uor '72L when done as I described. Hall
Pantera- an innovater of such things that were copied by other vendors (or
maybe simply resold by them) also has/had a second varient of the square-steel
bar. This more elaborate brace has two short pipes that extend down at a 45
degree angle to contact a second adjustable brace-bar mounted between the
lower portion of the inner fenders, just clearing the ZF. This apparently was
intended to brace up the lower subframe rails too, but with Gary Hall
deceased, there's really no one to verify.
Two problems with this: the short connecting pipes must be cut to size for
your car and welded in place between the upper and lower ajdustable square
braces, and the provided plates that attach to the inner fenders -welding is
advised here too- are flat while the panels are curved. Some have bolted the
plates in, bearing down on gr-8 bolts and distorting the thin fender
panels. A few have at great trouble, contoured the thick steel plates to fit the
fenders. And no one seems to know whether these things actually do anything
or just add weight.
My ultimate fix to the lack of rear stiffness is to have the entire rear
body/frame seam-welded along with the stock spot-welds. The few guys that have
done this (mostly racers) say the resulting Pantera is totally rigid and
has much, much improved handling. But it requires almost complete repainting
which makes it expensive for a street car. Good luck- J Deryke