[DeTomaso] Don't let this happen to you

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 11:49:19 EDT 2009

French locks occasionally fail. One that I know of was responsible for the
destruction of a classic Lamborghini Miura engine. Lambo's design has a
large gear on the back of the crankshaft, and a second one in mesh with the
first that spins the ring gear on the clutch mounted alongside the engine. The
factory used cheap french locks on the bolts retaining these gears. One
lock-tab broke off and went thru the gear mesh, spreading the gears apart,
cracking cast-in aluminum bosses on the block and stripping teeth off the gears.
After years of searching for a method to repair this, it took highly expert
welding and a LOT of hand labor. When it was finally done, the owner
safety-wired the bolts. I suggest we do the same on vital parts of our Panteras;
french locks are only low-grade mild steel strips and can't be infinitely
re-used without cracking, but using nothing is even worse. FWIW- J Deryke