[DeTomaso] Ebay 351 C Oil Addition line for Main #4 and #5

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 01:12:15 EDT 2009

This idea, like mothballs in the gas tank, keeps coming back every few
years. The idea came from drag racing 35 yrs ago, but the conditions were so
different that not many of their innovations are applicable to today's reality.
Since many 351-C rod failures seem to be in cylinders 1 & 2, it seems
counter-productive to me to pull oil away. IMHO, detonation from high speed fuel
lean-out, or valve float are the real culprits, not lack of oil. If you do
this, clamp the lines against the block at least every 8", keep them as far
away from the headers as possible and make the external line at least dash-4.
Since the hole down thru the rear of the block is only 0.290" dia once you
drop below the 1/4" pipe thread used for the oil gauge sender, the volume of
oil delivered won't be more than dash-4 can carry unless you bore the hole
bigger clear down to #5 main. Some of the more successful drag guys used
external stainless steel hard lines, not ss flex lines. I'd suggest sticking
with oil restrictors, a standard pump and a really good set of rods, valves
and full roller rockers. Aluminum heads will help reliability, too.   Good
luck- J Deryke