[DeTomaso] BBORR engine failure clues

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 12:36:06 EDT 2009

<<< Push rods on back two cylinders are barely bent.  You have to roll them on a pane of glass to tell.  Could have been that way for a while. >>>

Your pushrods may not be bent. Check the spec for the allowable tolerance.

FWIW, I had PAW hardened pushrods in my Mustang and the ball end on one of the PAW
pushrods snapped off while idling through town, which caused the rocker to rotate
sideways and the pushrod began to hammer the underside of the valve cover (only for the
few seconds it took me to turn the key off and coast off the road).

Those pushrods were the ONLY part in the engine where I tried to save a few $$ (the cost
was half what the Motorsport pushrods cost at the time, and "were the same thing"
according to the guy behind the counter at PAW), so decided to pull them all and replace
with Motorsport hardened pushrods.

When the Motorsport pushrods arrived I rolled them on a flat surface/glass and found that
they looked bent. I called the Motorsport tech line and they told me what the allowable
clearance was between the surface and the pushrod - I checked and they were within
spec. Interestingly, the crappy PAW hardened pushrods were much straighter by
comparison, but apparently the material/manufacturing quality was not up to par.

Cheers!
Garth (need to order custom length pushrods for my new 383 Cleveland stroker)