[DeTomaso] Clutch, update

P. Rimov rimov at charter.net
Wed Apr 29 23:51:37 EDT 2009

Thanks for every one that has replied to my desperate cry for help:

Well the wife is not going to put in for a divorce, yet, but she says  I
still need to figure out what the problem is and get it resolved as soon as
possible so we can start getting the EFI tuned in for the trip to Reno in a
month. The pedal is firm, no air in the line, I can navigate though all the
gears with the engine off but as soon as I start up the motor, depress the
clutch pedal I can not shift into any gear with out a lot of resistance and
grinding the gears, bad. If I start it in gear in will cause the automobile
to start moving forward or backwards depending on what gear I have selected
while the clutch is depressed, kinda a tricky maneuver as I only have a few
feet forward and I go through the garage wall and if I go to far backwards I
will be rolling down our steep driveway.

 I have checked, checked again for proper slave adjustments, the slave has
full movement, firm pedal feel and smooth travel, no air in the system and
the disc is disengaging from the flywheel about 3/16 of an inch. The clutch,
flywheel & pressure plate only have about 8500 miles on them, the flywheel
was resurfaced every so slightly before I installed the engine in December,
I installed a new pilot bearing, olite, and new throw out bearing. It was
working flawlessly in the 5.0 before re-installing the Cleveland. I am just
at a lost as to what to do. I really don't want to spend another $500-600 on
a new clutch and go through the drama of having to pull the ZF if it is not
the problem.

Paul