[DeTomaso] Initial Timming

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Wed Apr 29 21:52:25 EDT 2009

Doug

I concur with your advance findings.  When we initially dynoed my 408
stroker with quench heads on an engine dyno, it continued to make more power
as we advanced the timing to @41 degrees total.

I run a more conservative 36 -38 on the street for a margin of safety.  I
recall at our last chassis dyno day.  David Bell was just a bit shy of the
power number he sought to achieve.  He advanced his timing to about 38 from
some lower number and hit the power number on the next pull.

I'm my admittedly limited experience, I have never seen a Cleveland make
more power with less advance than 38. Of course, it would be foolhardy to
run this much advance if your engine is suffering detonation or preignition.

JT