[DeTomaso] Spark plug question

asajay at asajay.com asajay at asajay.com
Wed Apr 29 12:47:05 EDT 2009

I HATE PLATINUM plugs in a 351C.  Tried them once, NEVER again.  Ran
GREAT for a little while... six months later, performance was
suffering badly.  Changed to NGK UR4 and never looked back.

Platinum (for me) just don't see to be a good choice for a big old
fashioned iron V8 like the 351C.  I would pull them and toss them
about as far as I could chuck them.

Now with that said, some of the plugs look fine, but one or two look
like you are getting some oil fouling.  That could be rings, valve
stem seals... OR simply poor plug performance allowing more oil to get
into the cylinder by not firing well enough to properly pressurize the
cylinder.

Did I mention I HATE platinum plugs?

Asa Jay
(AC Delco, Bosch, Champion and anything else except Autolite or NGK
will not work in a 351C)